Wednesday

Fear of the unknown...

While waiting for an appointment to speak with our tax preparer a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to talk with his wife, with whom I had only shared polite greetings before.

Since my last appointment with our accountant a year ago, he had moved his office into a lovely new home. I told his wife how beautiful I thought their new home and office was, and she preceded to tell me the reasons behind the move. The most important reason, she told me, was that they had moved her mother with Alzheimer's in with them. Building a new home, they could design a bedroom and bathroom for her mother that would accommodate the needs of an older person, and life was much simpler for all of them by connecting the office with the house.

As we talked about what it means to care for elderly parents in our home, she told me that others had tried to discourage her.
You have no idea what you are getting yourself into.

Your mother is going to reach a point where you are not going to be able to care for her.

It's going to get too hard.
The truth is, none of us know what awaits us around the corner, but God does...
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

~ Psalm 139:16
I also know that when life gets hard, God's wisdom and grace will be abundant for the moment.
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
~ 2 Corinthians 12:9
*Photo - Highway 24 between Chattanooga and Nashville

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! How are you?

I really, really need prayer.. do you think you could visit my blog and bring any other Sisters in Christ over too?

God bless you!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Gabrielle Knight said...

Hello,
This isn't spam, I'm not a robot, I just couldn't figure out how to email you so I'm leaving a comment, I'm sorry if this is an inconvenience to you.
My name is Gabrielle and I came across your site as I was looking for other christian women to connect with. I am a designer and seamtress of modest, sophisticated and modern clothing. My main goal is to make clothing that women, of all ages, will find appealing but will be modest. I started up an etsy shop because I have known so many, too many women, that are struggling to be christians and also to fit in with modern fashion and hence give in to the low cut shirts and miniskirts. I believe since we are christians, we should not fit in, or give in to the immodest apparel of this age. Therefore I started making clothing, that was fashionable but also modest. I design and make, skirts, dresses, shirts, blouses, tunics and so on. I would really like to get the word out there about my store and help the church! It is in desperate need of a wardrobe change in my opinion. I can't believe the things I see girls wearing to church these days. Anyways if there is any way you can help me to spread the word I would appreciate it, and I would be willing to give you a discount of 20% at my store. I actually have two stores at Etsy, Etsy by the way is a handmade community, everything on there is handmade and there is also a christian community on there, called the cast team, which I am on. The first store name is www.ikvothamashiach70.etsy.com and the second one is www.yapaclothing.etsy.com Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you. You can email me at yapaclothing@live.com. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Gabrielle Knight

2:12 PM  
Blogger Tidbits of Torah said...

What a wonderful deed they are performing! It is a commandment to honor our parents. May G-d bless this couple and their family with peace, patience, and resources to coninute this wonderful commandment that they are obeying.
here is a wonderful article on honoring our parents and how

www.aish.com/literacy/mitzvahs/Honoring_Parents.asp

9:47 PM  
Blogger Francis.a.t said...

Thank you for that as at times I can feel overwhelmed with the fear of the unknown and I am always trying to remind myself that God is there and in control.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Barbara H. said...

I just discovered this blog through a series of links -- you know how one link leads to another. :-) What a blessing as I read several posts on this page. My mother-in-law lives in an assisted living home near us -- less than five minutes away -- and one of us visits her every day. WE moved her here to SC all the way from ID, and by God's grace she made the transition with much less trauma than I had anticipated.

I'm subscribing now!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Beautiful and encouraging words. Our family has dealt with this before and is still dealing with it now. It is amazing how God provides and sustains us.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home