Monday

But my house isn't big enough...

Moving mother and all of her equipment into our home was initially a logistical challenge.

Our house was small and full, with a tiny "great" room, a kitchen, three small bedrooms, two bathrooms, two teenage sons, a young daughter, and Louis and me.

The larger master bedroom with access to the master bath was clearly the most practical for mother's hospital bed and equipment. The boys shared a bedroom with bunk beds, so Louis and I slept in Emily's room, and Emily slept on the living room couch.

Hardly ideal, but it worked. A citrus farmer, Louis woke up early every morning, tip-toed through the living room to avoid waking Emily sleeping on the couch and showered in the master bedroom and dressed in the closet so he wouldn't wake mother.

Eventually we were able to enclose a porch off the kitchen with a futon where Emily could sleep.

Even before the enclosed gave us a little more breathing room, I don't remember my family ever complaining. Given the opportunity to make the same sacrifices, I have no doubt that they would do so again without hesitation.

Their attitude reminds me of the quote by Gregory Laughery in the header above:
"Others come first - through washing feet, laying down lives, loving as Jesus has loved us."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

If we could all live with the attitude others come first, oh how much better our world would be.

Thank you.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Robin's Nesting Place said...

Patricia, I've read through these posts tonight and it really hits home to me. What a wonderful thing to document this and be an encouragement to those who are, (or will be), caring for elderly parents.

We cared for my husbands mom for seven years. Four of those we went to her home every single day to provide food and medicine and check on her well being. For three years she lived with us. She has been in a nursing home for six years. Her Alzheimer's has been a very slow progressing one.

Caring for her in our home was very difficult, but I'm so thankful we were able to do it.

It is especially sad to see so many who are in the nursing homes prematurely. If only they had family to help them out, they could be spared months and even years of nursing home living.

Thank you for sharing your story. You are such a gifted writer!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous VIOLETA said...

Hello from Romania ,
please read the blog – My heart His words – at archive blog please look at November - Humbled and Convicted-

, my friend Tammy Nischan wrote them the story and some pictures of some hungryes poors kids , what we try to help them for Christmas .Our LORD will be so proud of us if we will do something! Many kids dont have food ,or Christmas tree becouse theu are so poors ! I fight so much to help this kids but i cant alone ~ if anyoane wants to know much more or wish to help in anyway you can please let me know email me at :

tibivio72@yahoo.com
I love you blog,
sweet blessings and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Violeta

6:15 PM  
Blogger LisaShaw said...

Beautiful!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home