Saturday

Dying to self...

In a recent conversation with a delightful young friend, we considered what it means to die to self, particularly in the ordinary tasks of every day life, and to live sacrificially in our home and community to the glory of Christ.

The "dying" this young lady referenced was a simple household chore that had nothing to do with family/elderly caregiving, but it's application was obvious. My friend lamented that it should be easier to put her desires and contentment aside for the benefit of other. "But then it wouldn't be dying," I countered.

Truth is, whether it was those days a few years ago that I was caring for my mother or the opportunities I've been given today, I haven't always wanted to wash the feet of the saints. It's been a series of "dying to self" moments.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Warren Baldwin said...

Good discussion of dying to self. I preached on that this morning, from Phil. 2.

I linked here from Melanie's blog.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Amen...very good...

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Barbara H. said...

Thank you so much for that thought. That really does put a lot of things into perspective.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Paper Hearts said...

It feels so good to be empowered by Christ to do the things in the Spirit and not the flesh. I find the more I seek Him, the more I rely on His strength to say No to my flesh (self). With that armor equipped I am confident that my life will mirror the things of God. I'm so glad I found your blog and it is a very touching one....thank you for sharing.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

Dying to self will be a life long journey. The older I get the more I see my self-centeredness and the ugliness of it. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Brad-What Chirstians Believe said...

God teaches us the blessings of doing things his way all through our lives. Each day that goes by I long even more for that wonderful day we meet him face to face!

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home