Thursday

A merry heart...

My mother lived with the pain of rheumatoid arthritis for most of her adult life. Her legacy to me in that was that she did so with much grace and humor. She often reminded me that "growing older isn't for sissies", but she spoke with a chuckle and always made light of her disabilities.

By the time I cared for her in our home, her memory had faded and her disabilities were many, but her ability to laugh through it all remained.

I remember trying to dress her before figuring out that she needed special clothing. I would get one arm in her shirt sleeve, but not the other, and we'd both laugh at our predicament. Often my own physical struggles made it painful or difficult for me to turn or reposition her in bed. Mother would laugh at my groans, and so would I.

The laughter was always good medicine.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

It is wonderful that your mother was able to be such a great lady to give that legacy to you to share with others. Sounds like she truly suffered but had God to cling to through that.


I was wondering if you could check out the Christian Modesty/Purity organization that I run called http://rubyeyedokapi.blogspot.com
Ruby-Eyed Okapi. We hope that you can read and comment and spread the news to your friends as well.

12:38 PM  
Blogger e.o.w. said...

Thanks for the visit to my photo blog. I've wandered here from there and am loving the space. My mom has been caring for my grandmother (who turned 103 this past July) for many years. I am so grateful for the lessons they have taught me and I hope to be there for my own mother as she has been there for hers.
I look forward to reading more of your writings.
Elizabeth

8:26 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Your mother sounds like a precious lady—which is a lot like mine.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Julie Rydlund said...

Along with prayer laughter can be great medicine. I am glad you were able to find laughter in your life to help you through this hard time. God Bless.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Cecelia Dowdy said...

Laughter is good medicine. Your blog post brings to mind something I'd heard once. There was a study done on people who were chronically ill. The ones that spent time laughing a lot, by watching a lot of comedies, etc. They thrived more than the other patients. Please don't ask me for the source, this is just something I read/heard years ago and that's all I can recall...

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Rhonda said...

Sometimes when dealing with pain a smile and some laughter make for some good medicine.

I know because there are many times that I need it.

6:41 PM  
Blogger HeARTworks said...

Love the "Growing old isn't for sissies"!!! Too true! Patsy from
HeARTworks

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best friend is going through this with her father. It is hard, but like your mother, he is keeping with a jovial spirit. It is always encouraging for her (I've suggested this blog for her to read) to read about other people's experiences.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home