Thursday

Honoring "the one who changes the diapers of the incontinent"...

A quote from Mark Galli's essay Insignificant is Beautiful...
When we think of making a difference, we think about making the world a better place for the next generation, not caretaking people who have no future. This is one reason we are quick to push the incontinent into "managed care" staffed with "skilled nurses." No question that this is indeed a necessary move for many families—I had to do it with my own father, sad to say. But let's face it. A fair amount of our motive is mixed. How much skill does it take to clean up excrement from an elderly body? Mostly it takes forbearance—and a willingness to give oneself night and day to something that, according to our usual reckoning, is not all that significant.
Read the whole essay.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:34 AM  
Anonymous Nicky said...

Sometimes God asks us to prove our love for Him in very difficult ways. This is something which is such an opportunity for spiritual growth.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Tidbits of Torah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Ursula Schneider said...

there is a lot of truth in this post. very convicting truth

5:58 AM  
Blogger tn_lizzie2000 said...

Insignifigance is in the eye of the beholder! A baby cannot say "Thank you for changing my diaper." A senior citizen should not have to but will be eternally grateful for the love with which they are served.
- - - - - - -
Could you please e-mail me. I've lost your e-ddress but want to send you something!

((((((hugs))))))

3:28 AM  
Blogger secretario de san miguel arcangel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:06 AM  
Blogger David Rupert said...

It's not agbout skill. It's about the heart. Bless those who pour their lives into care for those who cannot care for themselves.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Brad-What is a Chirstian said...

One day soon these trials will all be over, and we will live with our wonderful savior forever!

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful blog! I am convicted to be a better daughter to my ill and aged mother. Because of your blog, my eyes are opened to the depth of love that comes from these ministrations to our aged. God willing, my mother will not go in a nursing home if I can help it. Blessings!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mom of 5 said...

It was wonderful to find your blog. In March, we moved my mother-in-law in and I have been her primary caregiver. She could no longer live on her own and we knew if she went to the nursing home, she would just give up. As we walk this path, it is good to hear of others also choosing to serve. God bless!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question for you regarding your blog, but I couldn't find your contact information. Do you think you could send me an email whenever you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail(dot)com

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I wanted to talk to you regarding your site, please email me when you get a chance. Thank you!

Mario


trucillo.mario(at)gmail(dot)com

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home